Monday, June 13, 2011

Here Comes the Sun

Those Beatles sure nailed it, over and over again, didn't they? When my ipod shuffled onto this track tonight:

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

I thought yeah, it has been a long cold lonely winter. And I don't just mean the season of winter that just passed. I mean the winter of discontent associated with getting divorced. It had many cold and lonely elements, from the loneliness associated with having been next to a body for 13 years and suddenly finding myself in bed alone; to the sometimes exciting but ultimately cold and lonely sexual escapades with other men during the not-ready-for-a-real-relationship phase; to the confusing-to-the-body loneliness associated with having found a love but having him be over 1000 miles away for nearly a year. But the sun is indeed coming -- two weeks from tomorrow he rolls into town and the cold and lonely times (at least the ones described here) are officially behind me. Whew!

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

And though the original is hard to beat, you may want to check out some of the many covers. There's one by Nina Simone, who was heretofore unknown to me but apparently known to some as the high priestess of soul; one by Sheryl Crow for The Bee Movie; and my personal fave of the covers, Coldplay's version.

No comments:

Post a Comment