Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby Got Back

My son was singing this song to himself the other day, and it cracked me up to hear him say:

I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny...

I don't think he knows many of the lyrics, and that's probably for the best, but this song popped into my head today when I had an interesting little experience on my bike. I turned right onto a street in front of someone else also traveling in the bike lane. I thought it was someone I used to work with, but I wasn't positive, and it was sort of hard to turn around and check in a safe and not-weird way. So I kept riding, and when I went to turn off, I saw that it was him and said hi. "I thought that was you!" he said, "But I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd just stare at your ass." It totally cracked me up that he said that, out loud, Sir-Mix-a-Lot style:

I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get witcha
And take your pictcha
My homeboys tried ta warn me
But that butt you got
Makes m-m-me so horny

I personally think my bike-commuter butt is a little more gluteus MAXimus than I'd like, but my man definitely has a Sir-Mix-a-Lot appreciation for it himself:

So Fellas (yeah) Fellas(yeah)
Does your girlfriend got the butt (hell yeah)
Tell em shake it, (shake it), shake it,(shake it), shake that healthy butt

And I gotta say I like the message. This self-acceptance thing is way underrated and it's a bummer that it takes most of us a handful of decades to get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment