Thursday, July 18, 2013

Super life

Now that my pity party is officially over (at least for the moment), it's time for me to post on something other than the affairs of my heart, and at the top of that list is Trayvon Martin. This morning I rode my bike to work and then ran 4 miles on the treadmill before my 9am meeting (I was pretty impressed with myself), and while I ran I watched an interview with Trayvon's family:

A mama's cryin'
'Cause another young man has gone and died
He's not some statistic
He's another awesome destiny denied

I'll say.

And I was struck by their grace, by the way they handled themselves, in the wake of the Zimmerman acquittal. Watching it, and realizing that in comparison, what I'm going through is relatively benign, I vowed to use more of my energy working for a more peaceful, more just world.

Turns out, my old friend Chaka Khan wrote a song to encourage us all to do just that:

So I've got to stand tall
I'm gonna live a super life
For the rest of my life
I'm gonna live a super life
Super life, super life, yeah

We take it all so lightly
How did we get so 'climatized
On the 9 o'clock news nightly
Genocide of babies
I can't believe my eyes

Right or wrong
I'm gonna live a super life
For the rest of my life
I'm gonna live a super life
Super life, super life, yeah

Yeah. I wish my man could live his super life with me, but there's a chance that someday, while I'm still walking this Earth, he might. And even if he doesn't, I get to spend my super life with my babies.

Trayvon's family aren't going to get that wish in this lifetime, and I'm profoundly sorry, both for their loss and for the failure of our justice system to hold someone accountable for his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment