Saturday, March 12, 2011

Delicate

I was in a Damien Rice mood today, and when I fired up this album and heard the words to this song this afternoon:

So why do you fill my sorrow
With the words you've borrowed
From the only place you've known
And why do you sing Hallelujah
If it means nothing to you
Why do you sing with me at all?

I had a couple of reactions. One was the truth in the fact that when we hurt other people, we tend to do it from the part of us that has been hurt, and not from the place that feels secure in the world or in our own skin.

And the other was a heavy-hearted joining in his questioning of why people go along with things in which they do not believe. I suppose they, or maybe I should say we again here, because I'm sure I haven't managed to completely avoid this in my own life, are under the (mistaken) impression that they "have to" because of a desire to be liked, or fit in, or keep the peace, even if keeping that peace means losing some of the precious peace that can only be found within oneself when one's actions are in alignment with one's beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment