Wednesday, March 30, 2011

You're Still the One

I know. I'm as surprised as you are by this pick -- but it was an unconscious one. The last couple of days, these lyrics have repeatedly run through my mind, and I didn't even know what the song was or who was singing it:

I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

Now for us, it went down a little bit differently. I mean, I am surprised that we've made it as far as we have -- I wouldn't have predicted when we met that we'd fall in love and then have a long distance relationship for nearly a year culminating with a cross-country move (which is coming right up for him) so we could be together. But the only "they" saying we'd never make it (with the possible exception of his ex-wife) were the voices inside my head -- everyone else I know has been cheerleading this relationship the whole time it has been going on -- sometimes helping drown out the voices of my fears that repeatedly tried to tell me it wouldn't work, it'd just end the same way my first marriage did, etc. etc.

I'm super grateful for the cheerleaders, for my man's ability to embrace a new love, and my own willingness to work through all those fears, especially when I contemplate what we would be missing if it had gone the other way...

No comments:

Post a Comment