Friday, March 11, 2011

Taking Chances

On my way to an 0ff-site meeting today, I called my friend to see how she was doing in the absence of her eldest daughter and her husband (who are off on a ski adventure together). I got her voicemail, left a message, and then promptly got on the phone with my man. She called me back while I was still on the phone, leaving me a voicemail, and saying she had missed my call because she was singing this song (the Glee version) at the top of her lungs, thinking about me and my man, the chance we'd taken, and how great it is working out. Now it is a Celine song, as my friend sheepishly admitted in her voicemail, so the lyrics are generally cheesy, but some of them are apropos for how we got started:

You don't know about my past and
I don't have a future figured out
And maybe this is goin' too fast
And maybe it's not meant to last
But what do you say to takin' chances?

I said yes to jumping on a plane and flying out to NH for a weekend for reasons not unlike these:

I just wanna start again
And maybe you could show me how to try
Maybe you could take me in
Somewhere underneath your skin

And that isn't a bad way to describe where we went that first weekend together. Still, with all those miles between us and Madison being less than the most attractive place in the country to live for my back-country-skiing lover, there were times when we both thought it wouldn't work. We couldn't put it down, though, at least not for very long:

Hey now, hey, my heart is beatin' down
But I'm always comin' back for more, yeah
There's nothin' like love to pull you up
When you're lyin' down on the floor, babe

'Tis true. There's nothing like love to pull you up -- and it looks like this love is gonna be enough to make two people join their lives, even under relatively complicated circumstances.

What do you say?
What do you say?

Sure glad we said yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment