Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fishin' Blues

Tonight the four of us -- my ex-husband, me, and our two kids -- went out for sushi for our son's birthday. These dinners just keep getting easier -- in fact, this one was downright pleasant. As we walked out of the restaurant, our daughter said: "I like this. It's like you're married again!" I smiled at her and said "I think it's like we're a family, it just looks a little different than it did before." She accepted that, saying "That's what I meant."

On the way to school this morning, I walked with my son, (re)telling him the story of his birth. He listened intently, and then when we got closer to school, he said: "Ok Mom, can we cease this conversation now?" Yep, he used the word cease. Love that kid.

Part of the story I (re)told him was one that I've told here before, too, about how his father sang to him and calmed him down after his traumatic birth. This was one of the songs he sang:

Betcha' goin' fishin' all o' da' time
Baby goin' fishin' too.
Bet yo' life, Yo' sweet wife
Catch mo' fish than you.

Many fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

No comments:

Post a Comment