Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now

Ahhhhhhhh. So here I am. Finally. After a very long journey filled with delays, I arrived just in time to crash and rest up for my 7am yoga class this morning. It's a relief to be here in a lot of ways, but it doesn't feel the same as it did the last two years. I think the main difference is at that point I wanted the aloneness and the anonymity of coming on a vacation largely by myself (though surrounded by friendly fellow yogis). This time around, while I still love being in a tropical place, I find myself wishing I was here with my kids and my man. I see this as largely a good thing -- before, I craved separation, now, I'm craving togetherness.

One of the fun things about Hawaii is that the radio always seems to play the right tune at the right moment, and yesterday, as we drove out of the rainforesty part of the island where we are staying and into the sunny part, we heard:

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

On Maui, it's pretty much always raining somewhere and sunny somewhere else, and I feel like that's a more realistic metaphor for life than the total absence of rain Johnny is singing about here:

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies

Laying out this afternoon, it was a part sun, part shade situation. Just like life. And although I much prefer the sun, the shade has its place too. And it isn't so bad, especially when I can just be with it, instead of fighting against it...

No comments:

Post a Comment