Monday, October 13, 2014

For Your Glory

True confessions time: I started watching Nashville on Hulu Plus and I'm hooked. It all started with an article in the New Yorker about the guy who created it. I know so many people who say they hate country music, but do they really hate it, or just worry that it isn't cool to like it?

For me, the show takes me back to my childhood. Friday nights, my Dad would make popcorn, and he and my sister and I would settle on the couch and watch the Dukes of Hazard and Dallas.

Speaking of being taken back to my childhood, I'm doing some work right now to continue my own healing process, and I'm learning a ton about myself. It's going to be an ongoing process for sure, but already I can see how not being able to clearly hear my own voice has made it difficult for me to navigate my relationships with other people.

This song -- from the show Nashville -- has a bit more of a religious overtone to it, but it's about finding one's voice. Being able to hear one's heart. Letting it get broken open rather than living in fear of loss:

I'll rise up and be your voice
I made my choice.
This is my story.
Your songs are stored inside my heart
So break me apart
It's for your glory.
Let it pour out of me.
Let it pour out of me.
It's for your glory.

And whatever one believes about God or the Divine or the Universe or whatever it is that is out there -- I believe in a force for good -- I'm learning that tuning into my voice helps me better connect to that force for good. And that helps me treat everyone better -- myself, my kids, my loved ones -- and makes me feel more optimistic about the world in general.

See what a little country(/church) music can do?

No comments:

Post a Comment