Saturday, October 25, 2014

Shine

The birthday boy
 I've been teaching yoga at a health club downtown for about three years now. Because people want to be able to come on their lunch hour, the class is only 45 minutes, which is a little tricky as a teacher -- it's just not really enough time to get everything into a class the way I'd like. I used to just teach once a week, but recently I've started teaching twice.

After yesterday's class, one of my regular students came up to me and said how much she enjoys my classes and how much she feels I've matured as a teacher. It was super nice of her to say that, and it matched what I've been feeling lately -- much more sure of myself as a teacher. I reckon part of it is just having those years of teaching experience under my belt, but an even greater element is how much more dedicated I am to my own practice and what that enables me to offer as a teacher. Let's face it -- we want our teachers to have something we want - something to emulate. And the fact that I've had to work as hard for it as I have means I'm an even better role model for people who are struggling with the same practice themselves.

This song came to me as apt for marking this day, as I both celebrate my ability to shine my light, and give a shout out to my bright light of a nephew who turns 17 today:

Give me a word - give me a sign
Show me where to look - tell me what will I find? (What will I find?)
Lay me on the ground and fly me in the sky
We're a shiny bunch, aren't we?
Show me where to look - tell me what will I find? (What will I find?)

Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down

Love is in the water - love is in the air
Show me where to look - tell me will love be there? (Will love be there?)
Teach me how to speak - teach me how to share
Teach me where to go - tell me will love be there? (Will love be there?)

Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down
Oh - Heaven, let your light shine down

This next verse is my favorite. Because I get that it is important to open to the world around us and I see that as essential at getting in touch with our own divinity, but I also think there's a certain part of shining that is a choice we make for ourselves:

I'm gonna let it shine - I'm gonna let it shine
Heaven, let your light shine on me
Oh, yeah
Heaven, let your light shine on me

Shine
Shine on me, yeah
Shine
Come on and shine

No comments:

Post a Comment