Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I'm So Glad

I've been hearing this song inside my head off and on since this weekend, when my daughter related one of the most heartwarming things to me that I've ever heard.

The backstory: A couple of months ago, Monty Python and the Holy Grail was playing on Classics night at Sundance. My daughter loves that movie, so she begged me to take her, and I obliged. I've always found Monty Python mildly amusing, but there is nothing mild about the amusement my daughter takes in it. A bunch of people around her in the theater, including myself, were laughing because she was laughing this awesome laugh. Afterward she asked how I liked it and I said I loved it, mainly because I love her laugh.

Then this weekend I took her to see Dolphin Tale 2. She leaned over to me during the movie and said, "Mom, you know how you said you love my laugh?" Yep. "Well, Dad told me that he most sees you in me in my laugh." Isn't that just the most delightful thing you've ever heard an ex-husband say? I was so delighted, and so was she:

I'm so glad, I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad
I'm so glad, I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad

Don't know what to do
Don't know what to do
Don't know what to do

Tired of weeping
Tired of moaning
And I'm tired of crying for you

I love that now, five years out, we can be past all the petty bullshit and able to celebrate the beautiful things in one another that we see in our kids:

I'm so glad, I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad
I'm so glad, I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad

No comments:

Post a Comment