Friday, October 10, 2014

Let's Get Physical

Last night I received one of the clearest messages to date that the New Englander is not in a position to give me what I want and need right now. I then proceeded to go to sleep and have not one but two dreams in which this song from one of my childhood faves wasn't, but could've been, playing in the background:

I'm saying all the things that I know you'll like
Making good conversation
I gotta handle you just right
You know what I mean
I took you to an intimate restaurant
Then to a suggestive movie
There's nothing left to talk about
Unless it's horizontally

Let's get physical, physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

I've written about this before, but I read the book about love languages. I know mine are physical touch and quality time. Given that one of my primary goals right now is to love myself as much as I possibly can, I think my dreams were trying to tell me that it is time for me to be open to the love that is available in the present -- with all the dimensions I want, need and deserve:

I've been patient, I've been good
Tried to keep my hands on the table
It's gettin' hard this holdin' back
If you know what I mean

Because not doing that is denying myself something for the sake of something or someone that I have no way of knowing whether it or he will ever be able to deliver. So while I can't (and won't) deny that he brings out the animal in me:

I'm sure you'll understand my point of view
We know each other mentally
You gotta know that you're bringin' out
The animal in me

He's not someone who can bring that to Olivia's oh-so-natural conclusion with me:

Let's get physical, physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

Let's get physical, physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

At least not right now. So today, I'm asking for the willingness to be open to receiving the love I want and need in the present, because that's really all we've got:

Let's get animal, animal
I wanna get animal
Let's get into animal
Let me hear your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

I hear you talking, body. I know you want to get animal. Don't worry, I'm listening.

And so is the Universe...

No comments:

Post a Comment