Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Closer

These Scottish lads are such a treat, and although it was another of their fine tunes that my ipod played this morning, it's this one that has my number today. It so beautifully expresses the jumble of feelings involved when we invite someone to come closer.

The whole song is great, covering in the first verse the inevitability of having to deal with each other's "unfinished parts" (otherwise known as baggage), whether we do it consciously or unconsciously, and the distancing that naturally comes with that at times:

I've had enough
of this parade
I'm thinking of
the words to say
We open up
unfinished parts
Broken up
it's only love

And then from the beginning of the chorus, an expression of faith about what this new love could contain that stretches all the way to a promise that I'm not convinced we can ever really make, as tempting as it is to say and as wonderful as it is to hear:

And when I see you then I know
it will be next to me
And when I need you then I know
you will be there with me
I'll never leave you

Followed by the invitation, which sometimes comes out more like a plea, to come closer:

Just need to get closer, closer
Lean on me now
Lean on me now
Closer, closer
Lean on me now
Lean on me now

After which comes the inevitable feeling that at times the other person isn't quite close enough, whether physically, emotionally, sexually, spiritually:

Keep waking up (waking up)
without you here (without you here)
another day (another day)
another year (another year)

Sure is complicated -- but so worth at least getting out there and inviting what we want to come closer and seeing what comes up in ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment