Friday, November 5, 2010

Only Girl (In the World)

During my workout this afternoon, I heard this song, and it brought back a memory of the early portion of my relationship with my now ex-husband. I think it was New Year's Eve, so booze was unquestionably involved, but I remember wanting him, and asking him, to tell me that he loved me more than he'd ever loved anyone else. I remember how much I (thought I) needed him to feel this way, and how upset I was when he said he wasn't sure that was true. I didn't know then something that Rihanna's song is very clear about -- that it wasn't about whether he said that or not, but whether I felt it was true:

Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only girl in the world...

And the fact that I needed him to tell me, well, that suggests to me that I didn't feel it, along with some insecurity on my part at that point in my life. Once I'd worked through all my stuff, I still didn't feel it, and that's when I knew it was time to move on.

Rihanna's pretty stunning in the official video linked above, but I also found two other really fun ones worth checking out: a beautiful instrumental cover by a pianist, and two hilarious black dudes musing about "RiRi's" new song.

Enjoy, my friends, and remember -- trust how it feels, not what they say or what your mind tries to tell you...

No comments:

Post a Comment