Monday, November 8, 2010

True Colors

This song is working for me on a number of levels today. First, I'm sporting some of my favorite footwear -- cowboy boots -- everyone else calls them pink, but I see their true colors, and I say they're red! One of the reasons wearing these boots makes me so happy is that they help me show my true colors -- a big part of me is definitely a cowgirl -- so what if I what I rode today looked more like a bike than a horse? Someday, I was just telling my son the other day, I bet I'll have a ranch in Wyoming. The other thing about these boots that I swear is really just a happy byproduct and not my reason for wearing them is that the mens dig them. It isn't even always a happy by-product -- today when a guy at the coffee shop asked me out it was much more uncomfortable than flattering. I was chatting about it afterward with a friend who had overheard the invitation -- I told him that a guy I used to date warned me not to wear these boots if I didn't want to be hit on. My friend said he didn't agree -- I should be who I am and then just learn to deal with what happens gracefully. Though he didn't say it in so many words, he was encouraging me to show my true colors.

Sometimes I think my true colors scare people a little bit, and I'm not just talking about my footwear. I'm really trying to shake things up in the education policy world and I'm not doing it to be difficult, I'm doing it because I just can't abide failing yet another generation of kids who were promised that an education could lead to a brighter future. We're just not delivering on that promise for so many kids these days, and I refuse to believe that we can't do it better. Today. One of my favorite parts of MLK Jr.'s I have a dream speech is his repetition of "Now is the time!" I considered getting that tattooed on my wrist but my wrists are pretty small and plus, I really never stray very far from the space in which I can hear his words. These, too, are my true colors.

And finally, I'm feeling super grateful today for those in my life who give me the gift of seeing my true colors and loving me for the rainbow that I am!

Sing it Cyndi:

I see your true colors
shining through
I see your true colors
and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment