Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just Breathe

Driving in my car yesterday, this song came on just as I was pulling into my destination's parking lot. At first I was bummed about the timing -- why couldn't it have come on while I was driving? And then I recognized the opportunity I had to do exactly what my man Eddie was inviting me to do:

Stay with me...
Let's just breathe.

Such great advice. And while there are few things I like to imagine more than staying with Eddie, or any man who proves to be a physical incarnation of what I feel in my bones every time I hear Eddie's voice, the message I'm getting this morning is to stay with myself and just breathe.

Staring some not-so-easy feelings in the face these past few days, in meditation today I recognized and felt grateful for the grounding I now feel in my own body on this earth. Being grounded in my own body allows me to know I'm going to be okay regardless of whether I'm able to access an external source of support in any given moment. And having found this freedom in myself, I'm able to share it with my loved ones, of which, like Eddie, I am blessed to have many:

Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands
the ones I love...

And I don't have to be experiencing a physical incarnation (a hug, an email, a phone call) to feel and be able to trust that love. Just look how much love I've gotten from Eddie through his songs all these years, without a single physical encounter!

No comments:

Post a Comment