Monday, November 22, 2010

One More Cup of Coffee

My ex-husband, a movie buff, always used to say that my taste in movies is "actor-driven," meaning that if I like the actors in a movie, I'll be more likely to want to see it, and more likely to like it. True statement, but based on my selection of The Ballad of Jack and Rose at the library this weekend, I may be ready to revise that. Because even though watching and listening to Daniel Day-Lewis on the screen is a delight for me that is pretty much unparalleled by any other actor, and even though Catherine Keener is one my all time faves, and one of the women I contemplated to play me in the movie of my life (at least in the scenes when I'm older and less joyful than I am now -- which come to think of it, won't work, because I'm not planning to go backward in terms of the amount of joy I have in my life -- so as I get older I'll have more of it, not less), they couldn't save this disturbing movie for me.

But you know what almost did? This song playing during one of the final scenes. I have always loved this song, even if I've never really understood it/put it in context beyond the desire to linger just a little bit longer with a lover. But it really seemed to have been written about the wacky experiences of the characters in this not-so-fine (in my opinion) film.

The video linked above features Bob, face painted like a mime, singing his original version, but you can also check out these fine covers: Frazey Ford (formerly of The Be Good Tanyas, her voice possessing a definite hint of Dylan) and the better known one by The White Stripes.

As for me today, I think I'll have one more cup of coffee before I go -- though it isn't a lover I'm languishing over with my coffee this morning, but my friend's chocolate Guinness cake -- and I'm decidedly not headed to the valley below...

1 comment:

  1. So honored to have my baked goods mentioned in your beautiful narrative, and so proud that you are overcoming your F-fears and savoring the flavor of decadence in the morning! XOXO

    ReplyDelete