Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Lights

So many Christmas songs, but this is the one that is speaking to me tonight, because it seems to be about the mixed bag that Christmas can be. It's true -- the lights are pretty -- and they can help light a fire within:

Oh Christmas lights
Light up the street
Light up the fireworks in me
May all your troubles soon be gone
Those Christmas lights keep shining on

But on the other hand, they sometimes seem to illuminate what's missing along with what is here:

Those Christmas lights
Light up the street
Maybe they'll bring her back to me
Then all my troubles will be gone
Oh Christmas lights keep shining on

As for me, I'm not really missing anything that isn't already here or on its way. But I am feeling overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the task of preparing for this magical holiday. I've got a few more tasks to complete tonight -- I'm celebrating with my kids tomorrow -- and before I go to sleep, I think I'll sit and enjoy those christmas lights for a few more minutes and see if I can feel more of the magic and less of the mayhem...

No comments:

Post a Comment