Friday, December 17, 2010

Faith

My friend called me up yesterday morning, and I shared with her some confusion I've been trying to work my way through. The confusion stems from two things I'm working on cultivating that are seemingly in conflict with each other. I think George is struggling with these in this song, too, or at least, it started playing (in my head) right after my conversation with my friend.

On one hand, I am trying to live in the moment and fully enjoy the present without letting the past pull me back or the future pull me forward. That goal leads me to the enjoyment of the temptation George sings about here:

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you

At the same time, I am working to cultivate faith in love. I really think that more than any other element, this is what I didn't have going in my first marriage. And I'm beginning to think that it's a prerequisite for a happily ever after type union.

But how, when it comes to my exploration of new love, can I manage to both remain in the moment and have faith in love at the same time? Doesn't the faith in love part necessitate a contemplation of the future? Nope, said my wise friend. "Faith in love requires believing that two people come together for a reason, to love each other. Maybe that leads to happily ever after and maybe it doesn't, but if it doesn't, it doesn't have to erode your faith in love."

I hear what she is saying, but it scares me a little bit. Ok, a lot. There's a huge part of me that is with George on this:

But I've got to think twice
Before I give my heart away

And wants to shut down when it encounters the uncertainty created by being in the moment rather than talking/thinking in a way that involves more certainty. (Not that there is such a thing as certainty, anyway!)

But then I go back to the other thing I'm working on, and affirm:

Yes I've gotta have faith...

No comments:

Post a Comment