Sunday, December 26, 2010

Where No One Stands Alone

I've got a good life. I've got two beautiful kids. Countless beautiful friends. And the resources -- financial, intellectual, physical, emotional, spiritual -- to truly enjoy both the big and the little things in life. Technically speaking, I don't need a romantic partner to enjoy much of what makes my life satisfying.

Take movies, for example. I love movies. I enjoy taking in a movie by myself and completely surrendering to the experience, and I've got some fabulous movie buddies who are only too happy to enjoy them with me and then analyze them afterward over a cocktail and some tasty victuals.

But can all that take the place of the feeling of getting to see a great movie intertwined (I'm talking hands, arms, legs and heads here, just to clarify, not serious PDA) with a lover? I'm going to have to say no.

As featured in the trailer linked above, this powerful little song written by Mosie Lister seems to come down on the same side as me on this issue:

Like a king I may live in a palace so tall
With great riches to call my own
But I don't know a thing
In this whole wide world
That's worse than being alone
Hold my hand all the way, every hour every day
Come here to the great unknown

Take my hand, let me stand
Where no one stands alone

Now granted, it isn't possible to hold someone's hand every hour every day, and at times, we all stand alone (with the possible exception of those who believe Jesus is always with them).

And I'll also grant you that it is possible to have had that powerful feeling with someone and then lose it -- my ex-husband and I used to love seeing movies together, and one of the messages I got that it was really over came to me while watching a movie.

Yes, that sucks. And it's really, really hard to get over the fear that it might just go away again if you let yourself love again. It is the great unknown -- but I reckon all of life is -- and it's so infinitely sweeter shared with a lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment