Saturday, December 4, 2010

Flashdance... What a Feeling

This song has long been a perennial favorite, and from time to time I've used it as my "theme song" to help motivate me to live the life I want to be living, even if it means making some significant leaps from the one I find myself living:

First, when there's nothing but a slow glowing dream
That your fear seems to hide deep inside your mind
All alone I have cried silent tears full of pride
In a world made of steel, made of stone...

But I've never had the pleasure of understanding it on the literal level until Saturday night, when I went to see my friend's creation -- a dance theater production -- and performance:

Well I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythm
Wrap around, take a hold of my heart...

I felt so lucky to have, literally and figuratively, a front row seat to the manifestation of the pictures in her head coming alive. And while I get to observe this friend's strength, creativity, grace, and beauty in other aspects of her life, it's never quite so purely expressed as when she's on the dance floor, taking her passion and making it happen:

What a feeling, bein's believin'
I can have it all, now I'm dancin' for my life
Take your passion, and make it happen
Pictures come alive, you can dance right through your life

This is the gift of the artistic world, I reckon: It allows us to witness this power in others and get in touch with the fact that we all have that same power within us, we just need to find where we can most purely express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment