Friday, December 10, 2010

Love Takes Time

Earlier this week, when I showed up at Speed to teach my yoga class, the instructor before me was cooling down her cyclists with this tune playing in the background. It's been with me ever since -- I mean it comes and goes, but it hasn't gone away.

How to explain this? It could just be the insipid lyrics and catchy, pop tune. But I'm inclined to think there's more to it than that.

Feeling into it this morning, this is what I'm getting: although the healthiest, loveliest part of me knows that love is abundant and I'm just as worthy of it as anyone else and that all I need to do is be clear about what I want and it will come, there's another less lovely, less healthy part that sometimes likes to have its say. And that part tends to use language like "I shouldn't have..." and "What if I hadn't..." and "Maybe if I just..." and other such phrases that feed into the idea that things need to happen a certain way, what I do controls (or helps control) what happens, and that there are right and wrong choices and if you make the wrong one, you're left alone with only your regrets to keep you company.

Seems to me that is largely the voice that Mariah is listening to here:

Love takes time
To heal when you're hurting so much
Couldn't see that I was blind
To let you go
I can't escape the pain
Inside
'Cause love takes time
I don't wanna be here
I don't wanna be here alone

Sorry, Mariah. Although you and your voice are beautiful, your message doesn't help reinforce the beliefs I want to have about the world and what is possible in my own life. I have to trust that if I let go of someone, yeah, I might be lonely, and I might be blind to what is coming next, but I can have faith that if I'm following my heart, love will find me in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment