Sunday, December 19, 2010

Wishlist

One of my partners in crime last night was kind enough to create a playlist for her ipod that we fired up during the journey to and from our party destination this weekend, some of which she'd taken from these pages, and some of which will be showing up here in the future posts. That's one of the things I'm enjoying most about this blog -- how it encourages people to share their music with me.
Anyway, so we're driving along this morning, and one of my friends was telling a story when this song came on, causing me to exclaim: "Pause the song or pause the story, but please don't talk over my Eddie!" Fortunately, all three of us find something sacred in this sound, so after my friend finished his story, we drove across the winter scape while this song transported us somewhere else entirely.
So many things I love about this song, but first and foremost, its sound

And as usual, I don't just like the sound, but the lyrics he is singing. There are those that are seasonally appropriate:
I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on
The Christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top
Those that just work for me -- evoking a powerful image:
I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood
And those that are brilliantly simple, yet forcefully resonant messages:
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me
No more wishing over here, if I can help it. I am, in fact, as fortunate as me. Thanks Eddie!

No comments:

Post a Comment