Saturday, May 14, 2011

Because the Night

What a brilliant song. Writing credits go to the Boss (not to mention the hottest arms award), best all-around version to Patti Smith, and coolest group of rockers to play it together goes to the aforementioned plus U2.

Why this selection today? I'd been listening to Bruce's version on repeat in my car when my man sent me a link to it -- love that synchronicity. What I don't love is that no matter how satisfying our phone conversations are, they don't involve him taking me, pulling me close, or staying with me till the morning comes:

Take me now baby here as I am
Pull me close try and understand
I work all day out in the hot sun
Stay with me now till the mornin comes
Come on now try and understand
The way I feel when I'm in your hands
Take me now as the sun descends
They can't hurt you now
They can't hurt you now
They can't hurt you now

Because the night belongs to lovers
Because the night belongs to us
Because the night belongs to lovers
Because the night belongs to us

I'm not going to argue with you, Bruce. The night indeed belongs to lovers. It just makes the nights without them kinda tough sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment