Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wavin' Flag

This afternoon my son wanted to look at all the songs I've chosen to date to mark my days. There are a lot he doesn't recognize, and many he doesn't approve of, but as he was scrolling through the list, he said to me: "Do you know what song I really like?" And then he pulled this gem up on youtube:

When I get older I will be stronger
They'll call me freedom, just like a wavin' flag

When I get older, I will be stronger
They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag
And then it goes back, and then it goes back
And then it goes back, oh

My son is having a really hard time right now. I'm doing my best to help him, but I don't really know how to do much more than listen to him and love him. And while I know that's a lot of what he needs, it isn't all of it, and unfortunately he is very resistant to having anyone outside of his father or I help him. I think I'm just going to have to find it in myself to force the issue. I know that his diagnosis of Asperger's doesn't explain all of it, but I can't just sit by and let him spin his wheels in his current social isolation and feel like I'm doing my job as his mother:

Out of the darkness, I came the farthest
Among the hardest survival
Learn from these streets, it can be bleak
Accept no defeat, surrender, retreat

So we struggling, fighting to eat
And we wondering when we'll be free
So we patiently wait for that fateful day
It's not far away, but for now we say

When I get older I will be stronger
They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag

He doesn't have to fight to eat, but I know he's wondering when he'll be free. Maybe this could be his theme song for a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment