Monday, May 2, 2011

Think You Can Wait

There are few things I like more than having the time to take in a flick, a partner with whom to enjoy it, and a flick worth watching. All those forces came together today when my man and I biked over to Sundance for a matinee of Win Win.

As the credits rolled on this touching little dramedy, this song started to play:

I was drifting, crying
I was looking for an island
I was slipping under
I'll pull the devil down with me one way or another

I'm out of my mind; think you can wait?
I'm way off the line; think you can wait?

Discussing the movie afterward, I noted how inspiring I felt the couple in the movie's love was. Basically, the main character screws up. He does something of which he is not proud -- but he does it -- as I think we all do -- when he's feeling desperate and doesn't feel like he has a choice.

When his wife finds out about it (at least in part), she is upset that he didn't discuss it with her, but she gets over it -- she's not mean and she doesn't hold a grudge. Later on, when it comes out that what he did was worse than she thought, she is angry with him. But she doesn't judge. And she doesn't walk away, or really even go away emotionally.

It was novel for me to see this all play out this way, and to observe how much less collateral damage there is when anger and disappointment are handled this way. I'm going to endeavor to follow this example, and when I need a reminder, I'm going to listen to this song, and make sure we're not staying away from the baby (which I take to mean taking care of the love -- getting back to that tender loving space) for way too long:

We've been running a sleepless run
Been away from the baby way too long
We've been holding a good night gone
We've been losing our exits one by one...

No comments:

Post a Comment