Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hospital Food

This morning I woke up again remembering my dream, but this one was about my friend from college who died nearly two years ago. It's the first dream I can remember that I've had since she died where I felt like she was in full living color -- not in the hospital, not swimming -- no, it wasn't like any of those dreams that were heavy in some way with the circumstances of her death. In this one we were on a beach with some other friends, laughing about a guy she'd been pretty obsessed with in college. I woke up feeling like I'd just gotten to spend time with the best parts of her -- what a treat.

And then I reached over and turned on my ipod, which shuffled onto this David Gray number, tapping into some of the yucky memories of the end of her life, at the hospital, where we watched her slip from the woman we'd laughed with to a woman we didn't recognize:

Seeing it all so beautiful
The way it oughta be
Seeing it all so beautiful
And turning away
Turning away
Turning away

Tell me something
Tell me something
I don't already know
Tell me something
Tell me something
I don't already know

I did learn some things I didn't already know through that experience, but not much of it good. Now another friend is in the hospital, and I'm hoping to learn more that's positive this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment