Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

This track has played a few times over the past few days now that the internal jukebox is back in action:

Girl, you'll be a woman... soon

And I'm psyched every time it comes on -- what a great song. The one I hear is Urge Overkill's cover from Pulp Fiction -- but it is also fun to check out the young Neil Diamond singing the original back when I was a wee lass:

I love you so much, can't count all the ways
I've died for you girl and all they can say is
"He's not your kind"
They never get tired of putting me down
And I never know when I come around
What I'm gonna find
Don't let them make up your mind.
Don't you know...

Girl, you'll be a woman soon,
Please, come take my hand
Girl, you'll be a woman soon,
Soon, you'll need a man

I think it came up the first time because my man and I had been discussing our reluctance to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves and how that both played into and played out in our first marriages. A part of both us -- and we're by no means the only ones -- it's a common phenomenon especially among those who survive rough childhoods -- wanted to be taken care of when we got married. And some amount of caretaking is involved in any healthy relationship -- it just works a lot better when it is roughly evenly distributed. That's one of the things we're banking on being different this time around.

The second time I heard it was today on the bike ride home -- and it was a fine tune to which to ride.

And finally, the third go-round was tonight when my soon-to-be eight-year-old daughter announced that no, she did not want me to run her a bath; she'd prefer a shower. "Baths are for little kids, Mom, and I'm not little anymore." Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Luckily, I have a handful of years with her being at least semi-little...

No comments:

Post a Comment