Sunday, August 25, 2013

To Feel Alive

I started my day today by biking to an Ashtanga yoga class, which felt awesome. I hadn't been to this class in a few weeks, so I was a little worried about how it would go, but I felt strong and it really helped move the energy that needed to move. Riding home afterward, I felt like a new woman.

My daughter got to hang out with one of her favorite sitters while I was gone, so we were both in a good place when we headed out to see Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters.

It was a good flick, and, as luck would have it, one of the songs from the soundtrack feels just right to mark this day:

Like a dream, the tree of life
Covers me and dulls my eyes
I fall asleep a thousand nights before I wake

That first verse feels fitting for a couple of reasons:

1) I feel like I've spent much of this summer with eyes dulled, covered over by sadness; and

2) I had a bunch of crazy dreams again last night. One of those dreams included getting laid, and I gotta say at this point it felt a bit like waking up after a thousand nights of sleep!

And this next verse describes what feels possible when my girl and I are on the same wavelength, as we were today:

Free to rise again
Hand in hand against all odds
We’ll overcome
Together we are one
For the first time in this life
Don’t have to fight to feel alive

No we don't, thank goodness, but sometimes (like yesterday) we have to take that on faith and hold on for the ride:

Up Down, Up Down
Up Down, Up Down
Just Believe, Just Believe

There was a scary bit early on in the movie when I grabbed my daughter's hand. Initially she rejected it, but later, as it got more frightening, she was only too happy to view the Sea of Monsters hand in hand. And that just might have been my favorite part of the moviegoing experience:

Free to rise again
Hand in hand against all odds
We’ll overcome
The Future we’ve begun
For the first time in this life
Don’t have to fight to feel alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment